Postcard showing the impact of the explosion, 1910

The explosion happened when a fireclay miner who was lodging with a family on Garnqueen Square (now site of the Glenboig community shop) decided to dry a box of gelignite by putting in on the stove. He escaped the resulting explosion but the family he was staying with were not so fortunate.

Thankfully accidents like these were rare, although it did demonstrate how dangerous an occupation mining could be.

Museum reference:
U12-360
On display:
In Storage: Archives
Associated with:
Garnqueen Square, Glenboig, Scotland
Explore similar items