To find out more about web accessibility, and the accessibility features of this site, please visit our web accessibility page.
Kitchen Range, Coatbridge, about 1900
Closed kitchen range from Flloyd St, Coatbridge. This came from a flat dating to about 1900 and was still in use until the 1990s. Compared with the open fires they replaced the closed range is a cleaner, more efficient use of fuel for cooking and heating.
It was powered by coal and would be built into the hearth of a chimney - kitchen hearths were often larger and protruded from the wall in order to accomodate a range. It incorporates a hob and oven compartments allowing a variety of different cooking processes to be carried out at once. Concealed at the rear there would often be a 'back boiler' water tank fitted, with the water being heated by the range allowing a more readily available (and energy efficient) source of hot water to the household.