To find out more about web accessibility, and the accessibility features of this site, please visit our web accessibility page.
Bolt from the Monkland and Kirkintilloch Railway, 1820s-30s
This bolt was used in the early Monkland and Kirkintilloch Railway, opened in 1826. It was found on an old stone block railway sleeper and possibly originated in the Faskine-Palacecraig section or in a connected mineral railway in that area.
The Railway was originally built to link coal and ironstone mines in the Monklands with the Forth and Clyde Canal at Kirkintilloch, which would allow transportation either westwards to Glasgow (as a competitor to the Monkland Canal) or eastwards toward Falkirk and the Forth.
Before rails with wooden sleepers became standard, there was experimentation with rails set into square stone blocks. This fell out of favour as it was found that the blocks tended to be pushed apart over time, whilst wooden sleepers kept the rails at a consistent width.
Privacy & Cookies Policy
Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. This category only includes cookies that ensures basic functionalities and security features of the website. These cookies do not store any personal information.
Any cookies that may not be particularly necessary for the website to function and is used specifically to collect user personal data via analytics, ads, other embedded contents are termed as non-necessary cookies. It is mandatory to procure user consent prior to running these cookies on your website.