Summerlee Museum is open Monday – Sunday, with timed entry slots. Admission is free.
For everyone’s safety we need to control visitor numbers so please book your free tickets in advance by on our Art Tickets page
We’ve outlined everything you need to know before your visit. Please ensure you read the information carefully. We are doing essential work on the tramway to ensure safety, and hope that it will reopen in mid-September. If you are looking forward to a tram ride, please check before booking to avoid disappointment.
If you have a question about our service, please visit our frequently asked questions. If you can’t find what you’re looking for, please get in touch:
01236 638460 Monday – Sunday, 10am-4pm
Please be aware we’ll do our best to answer all calls but have limited resource so it may not always be possible.
Summerlee Museum of Scottish Industrial Life has been awarded Good to Go status, designed by VisitScotland and recognised by the National Tourist Organisations of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. This Industry Standard mark confirms that we have followed government and industry COVID-19 guidelines, have a Risk Assessment in place and a process to maintain cleanliness and aid social distancing.
We’ve implemented a number of changes to the museum and gallery experience:
- All visitors must book in advance of their visit (click here to book).
- Visitors must select a session when booking and are not permitted to attend more than one session per day. Visitors will need to leave the site at the end of their session.
- Visitors will have to wear a face covering in all enclosed places within the museum, including the shop, café, tram and exhibition areas. We are unable to provide visitors with face coverings.
- We’ll be limiting the number of visitors who are able to come to the site each day to ensure everyone has a safe and enjoyable experience.
- We are maintaining a two-metre social distance throughout the site.
- We’re providing hand sanitising facilities around the museum.
- Our shops and café will be open. We will accept cashless payments only.
- Our café will have a limited menu and outdoor seating available to enable social distancing.
- Our interactive exhibits will remain closed to visitors to safely uphold social distancing measures and limit visitors’ contact with hard or shared surfaces. We have also removed our indoor seating.
- We’ll be managing toilet facilities to control the number of people in and out and ensuring regular enhanced cleaning takes place.
- We will be offering suggested routes to keep areas flowing and prevent overcrowding in popular spaces.
- We’ve installed lots of guidance on hygiene, social distancing and safety measures as friendly reminders to everyone on how to enjoy their day – these include floor stickers to emphasise two-metre distancing and supporting signage.
- Enhanced cleaning arrangements may mean a wait for some things, such as toilets, lifts or access to certain areas. Please be patient and be respectful to our staff.